Overall i am pleased with my outcome, I feel that I have utilised the research I have done to create a piece that relates to the theme I chose. in this project i feel that my research was the strongest area, my research into the background of the boots and the artists I chose all were very beneficial into choosing and creating that final piece. The artists i chose were linked to the actual theme and also covered different things, such as Gavin Watson’s photography which influenced my own use of photography in the project. The way i used the sepia tones to create age and depth was down to the research I did here. Also the other artist, Jamie Reid influenced me in the sense that I knew how to show and create the aggression that the boots were idolised for using techniques that he also used. Overall, the research to this project made a big impact, it taught me that research is key and everything is based upon research, photos and artists work.
The primary photos I took were useful I believe, however, I feel like i could have got more, giving me more room to manoeuvre and to pick and choose between different images. The main problem however was that I struggled to find primary images of male models with the boots on, therefore I felt that I didn’t quite get across the feel of aggression between both sexes, even though i did use a female model. If I were to do this project again I would improve on this area, as i feel this is what hindered me the most, as I could have done with much more different primary images.
My progression of my work throughout the year is quite easy to see as at the start of the year we did some starter activities, hear you can see my early work. Here my work seems unpolished, undeveloped and rather basic. Particularly with the logo project we did, here you can see the beginning of me developing my ideas, however they still seem rushed or undeveloped, as if the idea came from nowhere with nothing to back it up. Then you see my research, from which i began to create much better work from as it had something to back it up or something to inspire it. This being the most important thing that I have learnt from during this project, as i touched on earlier, as my research has lead to not just the development of my project but also the development of how I work, in the sense that I need to go through the process of research, images and development to create a good piece.
The quality of the final outcome is impressive for my first completed piece, I feel that I have done well to create a piece that looks professional and most importantly gives the feelings that I wanted to portray. I could have benefitted from more pieces in my final zine, however i am pleased with the ones that i chose to use as they gave the feelings of aggression and the theme of counter culture well. I am also pleased that they included not just computer based works, but also photography and hand drawn pieces, giving it a much more rugged edge that again shows the aggressive side but also links to my research that the DM’s were previously army boots.
Overall the logo project went well; we made good time and didn’t get behind in working. I found that being there were only two people in the group that we made much better decisions than in previous projects involving large groups.
We quickly came up with basic ideas and successfully developed them well. With the help of feedback from Upper Sixth students we picked the final piece and made slight tweaks and added the logo to several business documents such as a letterhead and business card.
If we where to do the project again I think that we would have done much more defined research on Japanese food companies as the companies we chose to look into where Japanese but where often not related to food, meaning that the inspiration we had was not really from the research but simple from our imagination. This project has taught me that research is key and can lead to better inspiration and basically an easier time in finding ideas.
We where first tasked to join together in completely different groups, one person from graphics, one from media, one photography and one from fine art. After this we where told to create something that showed an emotion. After a quick presentation containing some of the previous years work to provide inspiration, we left to start.
At first the project was fairly tricky to get to grips with. We didn’t really understand what we where told to do and where (for about an hour) stuck on any ideas.
Eventually we decided we needed to chose an emotion. We weren’t sure weather or not to do something ‘happy’ or ‘sad’. Eventually we went with the feeling of ‘obsession’. The idea was to create a shrine to one of the people in the group. This would include various pictures and personal items that would be placed around a portrait of them in the dark room and lit by candles.
We first began to take pictures of one of the people from the group of her milling around college. Once we had enough pictures we uploaded them to the computer and edited them so that some pieces of the picture where standing out in colour from a black background.
It was here when we changed our mind for the project. We then decided to print the images and stick them onto an A3 piece of card and add personal items such as notes and lip stick.
Overal the project was a good way to throw us into the deep end and to get us to work together and work off of each others ideas. It was also a good way to discover that graphics isn’t simply about computers and photoshop but instead can involve anything. This is what I have taken from the project, I now prefer to write by hand and then scan in and manipulate the image using the computer.