Overall i am pleased with my outcome, I feel that I have utilised the research I have done to create a piece that relates to the theme I chose. in this project i feel that my research was the strongest area, my research into the background of the boots and the artists I chose all were very beneficial into choosing and creating that final piece. The artists i chose were linked to the actual theme and also covered different things, such as Gavin Watson’s photography which influenced my own use of photography in the project. The way i used the sepia tones to create age and depth was down to the research I did here. Also the other artist, Jamie Reid influenced me in the sense that I knew how to show and create the aggression that the boots were idolised for using techniques that he also used. Overall, the research to this project made a big impact, it taught me that research is key and everything is based upon research, photos and artists work.
The primary photos I took were useful I believe, however, I feel like i could have got more, giving me more room to manoeuvre and to pick and choose between different images. The main problem however was that I struggled to find primary images of male models with the boots on, therefore I felt that I didn’t quite get across the feel of aggression between both sexes, even though i did use a female model. If I were to do this project again I would improve on this area, as i feel this is what hindered me the most, as I could have done with much more different primary images.
My progression of my work throughout the year is quite easy to see as at the start of the year we did some starter activities, hear you can see my early work. Here my work seems unpolished, undeveloped and rather basic. Particularly with the logo project we did, here you can see the beginning of me developing my ideas, however they still seem rushed or undeveloped, as if the idea came from nowhere with nothing to back it up. Then you see my research, from which i began to create much better work from as it had something to back it up or something to inspire it. This being the most important thing that I have learnt from during this project, as i touched on earlier, as my research has lead to not just the development of my project but also the development of how I work, in the sense that I need to go through the process of research, images and development to create a good piece.
The quality of the final outcome is impressive for my first completed piece, I feel that I have done well to create a piece that looks professional and most importantly gives the feelings that I wanted to portray. I could have benefitted from more pieces in my final zine, however i am pleased with the ones that i chose to use as they gave the feelings of aggression and the theme of counter culture well. I am also pleased that they included not just computer based works, but also photography and hand drawn pieces, giving it a much more rugged edge that again shows the aggressive side but also links to my research that the DM’s were previously army boots.